KDandLiberty

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Our updates finally

Kolbe was sick most of last week and got lollipops for his throat. He wanted me to save a half-sucked one for later so I was going to put it on a little piece of paper for him. He didn't see the paper on top of the dresser and thought I was just going to lay it down directly on the wood. He told me not to put the lollipop there because "it might stain." He's very conscientious.
Speaking of lollipops... We had a great time while Jeff was home and Kolbe was VERY well-behaved. The days after Jeff has been gone have been a little rougher. Kolbe has been slacking big-time in the area of listening to mom and following directions. So, the other day, he and I had a serious heart-to-heart adult-like conversation about the situation. I asked him what I should do when he does not listen, or what I could do to make him listen better. He replied, "You could give me lollipops." Do you see any correlation between the two?
Today Libby entertained herself for quite a while tossing a beach ball in the air and then running after it, only to toss it again. It reminded me of watching a dog chase its tail, but she had a blast, laughing and giggling every time she did it. We have a great video clip of it for Dad!
One of Kolbe's signature mealttime phrases is "This won't fork." He says this whenever he cannot keep his food on the fork if it crumbles or falls off the fork. By the way he is very picky about always using utensils to eat, there is very little food he will pick up and eat with his fingers. Yesterday morning I made pancakes for breakfast. For some reason they weren't cooperating when he was trying to devour them. He leans toward the plate and says to the pancakes: "Come on guys, fork!"
We had other issues tonight at dinner. Libby was having some cottage cheese and since Kolbe doesn't really like it anymore I did not offer him any. He decided he wanted some and took a scoop off of her tray. He took a bite but still left some on the fork. He started moving his fork back and forth quickly and I told him to quit flinging his fork around. He said, "I am not flinging it, I am shaking it, see I'm not letting go." Talk about splitting hairs. It is such a joy to have your word choice challenged by a 3 year old.
This morning after I put Libby down for her nap Kolbe asked for some popcorn, ( Velvet Creme had given him a huge bag for his birthday.) So, he was eating his bowl of popcorn and decided he wanted to paint. I told him we could paint after he finished his popcorn. He said, "I'm halfway done, can I halfway do painting?"
I hadn't gotten a chance to post all of the fun exciting things the kids did while Jeff was home, but I'll try to start the list of feats.
Kolbe started to get really good riding his tricycle.
He spelled his last name. He doesn't spell any other words, but he hears me spell our last name on the phone so often, I guess he memorized it.
Kolbe sang songs in church. He mostly just repeatedly sang the word "Alleluia" until everyone else stopped singing.
Libby started to walk. She incorporated and coordinated all of her other tricks like 360 degree turn, bending to pick something up without touching the ground, carrying things, etc into her new skill of walking. The progression of how different kids develop is so AWESOME! Kolbe walked way before Libby did, but he didn't master all of the other tricks like the above-mentioned, until much later. She was turning, squatting and standing without touching the ground, etc, before she could walk. The day Jeff returned to Iraq she took unassisted steps backwards.
Jeff got to see Libby's attempts at tumbling. She mostly just gets her body in a V shape, but once out of every 10 times or so, she'll kick up her legs and fall to the side. Pretty comical to watch, but she's proud of herself.
Dad could not have come home at a more perfect time.

1 Comments:

At June 12, 2006 8:02 AM, Blogger Scott and Suzanne said...

I liked Kolbe's "alleleua" trick. We'll have to try it when there aren't enough hands to hold the song books and we don't know the words!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home