Funny Kid
Kolbe has said all sorts of off the wall things this week. I will certainly forget some of his stories and have to add them in another posting. It's been an entertaining week on our street. Our street is being replaced and they are in the process of breaking out the concrete with jackhammers, so Kolbe is having a heyday. He loved it that is, until they got to our driveway. He started to get very upset when they began demolishing our driveway and said "I want my street back." That was yesterday. Today he was in the driveway building things with the pieces of concrete. Naturally, he wanted to bring some of the concrete pieces into the house. :)
Tuesday we went to spend the night with Aunt Janelle. She was staying in a hotel and the kids got to go swimming, fwimmin', as Kolbe calls it. They both enjoyed the water. Libby slaps her hand down and makes little splashes. When Kolbe imitates her, it's like a tidal wave and if you're holding him you get soaked. He gets cold in the water but still really enjoys it. We have to almost force him out when his lips are purple and his body is shivering. He loves to be wrapped up in two towels and snuggled up. Of course mom loves to snuggle up too. How embarrassed will he be if he reads this as a teenager? Elizabeth is a lot more hot natured than Kolbe, so she would have been fine staying in the water, but Janelle and I were cold too.
After swimming it was almost time for bed, so we got the kids ready and got in bed. Libby and I were together and K got to sleep with Janelle. When he realized he was going to be sleeping with Janelle, he said "I don't want to sleep with Janelle, she's naughty, mommy, Janelle's naughty." Luckily Janelle didn't take it personally. She thought it was funny actually. Janelle plays with him and teases him, all in fun, and he usually seems to have a good time with her, but sometimes he gets upset.
On the way up to see Janelle we passed the airport. Kolbe asked if we were going to pick up Daddy. I was suprised he remembered the airport from the week before, he must have seen an airplane. I'm thinking he's some kind of genius for remebering that we were close to the airport after he's only been there a couple of times. I guess the airport is just in his blood. Grandpas worked there, mom and dad met there, Janelle flies aiplanes, etc.
Today I was trying to put Libby down for a nap. Kolbe brought in a book and said he wanted to read her a story. He opened the book and started to babble mostly incoherent words, but she was mesmerized. I enjoyed watching the 2 of them. :)
I know from child development classes empathy, and seeing and understanding someone else's point of view are not fully developed until later, but this week I saw a couple of signs of it. While we were in the car driving, the music was playing and out of the blue K started whining. I turned the music off. He told me to turn the music on and I said it hurt my ears for me to listen to music and whining at the same time. I told him I would turn the music back on when he was finished whining. He said "I'm done with whining." So we turned the music back on and all was well. Yeah!
A couple of weeks ago he had a bad morning and was whining a lot. I put him in time out in his room and told him he could come out when he was finished whining. After a few minutes I went back in to check on him. I asked him if the whining was over. He motioned like he was throwing something into the closet and said "I put my whine in the closet, mommy." What made him think to do that? If he watched T.V. I would think he had heard a phrase like that on a show, or if he was in daycare, maybe an adult had told him to "put a bad behavior away", or leave a bad attitude at home or some other similar phrase. But, I can't for the life of me think of where he came up with it. It was pretty cute though. I needed a little pick me up after that morning. I'm sure anyone whose recently raised or is raising a 2 year old understands days like that. UGH! Luckily there are so many spectacular days for each exhausting (physically, mentally, and emotionally) one.
I want to end with a cute church story, that also happened a couple of weeks ago, I just hadn't gotten to include it yet. We have a priest who has the same coloring and mustache as Captain Kangaroo. Of course Kolbe has no idea who Captain Kangaroo is. When this priest gets up on the alter, Kolbe says, out loud, "Father looks funny." I don't think the priest can hear him. Kolbe also announces, usually about halfway through, "I'm done with church."
He keeps us laughing. Elizabeth's smile is contagious. Today she was even giggled at Kolbe. She watches him most of the time, and smiles at him a lot, but I haven't seen her giggle at him yet. She giggles at older kids and adults, but not Kolbe, until today. He sort of jumped next to where she was sitting and it made her giggle.
We are fortunate to have 2 great kids!

1 Comments:
Ha ha ha! Sometimes I wish Joe would put his whine in the closet! You give me hope that the twins will be entertained by their big brother :)
Post a Comment
<< Home